My Storey

My photo
It's a privilege to say that you have found your calling. My calling is in Human Resources. Specifically, my calling is recruiting. Apparently I enjoy selling and recruiting is about selling the candidate to the manager and selling the organization to the candidate. My professional history has included 27 years in healthcare of which 23 are in HR/Recruitment. I currently serve as a Recruitment Consultant for Jobscience, Inc. a Recruitment Solutions provider out of San Francisco, CA.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Job Postings: Recruits Love to Read them but We Hate to Write Them

I'm reading a good book called, "Recruit Or Die". Although the focus is on campus recruiting I find that much of the book is applicable to recruiting in general. This is the first of a two-part series on job postings. Today I want to take a brief look at the pitfalls of job postings and tomorrow I'll take a look at best practices.

According to the authors of "Recruit Or Die" there are five common advertising mistakes. Looking at the ads in the newspaper and internet we all could learn to manage our job postings more efficiently.

  1. Wasting time and money on advertising that doesn't reach the target audience.
  2. Leaving jobseekers confused about who you are and what you are hiring for.
  3. Not targeting a specific group of people.
  4. Not calling your jobseekers to action.
  5. Not mentioning the good stuff.

No comments: