My Storey

My photo
It's a privilege to say that you have found your calling. My calling is in Human Resources. Specifically, my calling is recruiting. Apparently I enjoy selling and recruiting is about selling the candidate to the manager and selling the organization to the candidate. My professional history has included 27 years in healthcare of which 23 are in HR/Recruitment. I currently serve as a Recruitment Consultant for Jobscience, Inc. a Recruitment Solutions provider out of San Francisco, CA.

Friday, October 10, 2008

So, after giving up my blogging after only a few posts I determined that there might be some benefit to this. I have re-ignited my love for reading and have not been able to get enough of it lately. As I prepared for my trip to Austin this weekend I ran to the local book store to see what I could find. Since I have been thrown into a new sales role I have been spending much of my time inhaling any book I can find about sales. The funny thing I realized is the connection between sales and recruitment. I don't believe for a minute that if you recruit well you can sell well. But if you sell well, you can recruit well.

I started reading a book today called, "Recruit or Die". It didn't take the direction I thought it would but I have been learning so much about being more competitive on college campuses to get the top graduates. Since my background has been solely in healthcare I went to many college campuses to recruit nurses. This book taught me to put a recruitment plan together and not just show up on the Job Fair Day with your bowl of candy, business cards, benefits list and give-aways. Competitive recruiting is much more than having the highest salary and heftier benefits package. It's about knowing your campus, the culture of the school, how to get your message across and avoiding the rumor mill. By the year 2014, US employers will have to look much harder for college graduates as there will be millions of vacancies that can't be filled because there won't be enough graduates.

In this book, there were multiple references to employers being turned away from job fairs because there wasn't enough room to house of the the exibitors. Recruiters, in order to be effective you have to be strategic and develop solid plans to ensure your success on the campus front.

I'm only half-way through the book so I'll have to put something together for your comment once I finish the book. Thanks for your kind attention to my ramblings. If you are attending ASHHRA this weekend... stop by and say hello.

No comments: